Connecting to our grid
If you are interested in selling us your excess electricity, we will need to do an assessment to see if the connection is feasible and how it could affect the distribution system. Capacity on the distributed system may be limited due to the characteristics and loading of individual feeders. We can determine the available capacity during our assessment.
In order to size your system, identify your individual emergency or critical load energy requirements. Think about which energy requirements you can reduce through, such as energy-efficient appliances, added insulation, and lighting.
Make sure that your generation sources are installed and operated according to the manufacturer’s specification as well as the Canadian Electrical Code (CEC).
Distributed resource interconnection procedures
If you want to generate up to 10 megawatts (MW) of electricity and interconnect to our distribution system at voltages of 25 kV or less, follow these guidelines:
- review our Technical Requirements for Connecting Distributed Resources to the Manitoba Hydro Distribution System (PDF, 374 KB);
- review our Distributed Resource Interconnection Procedures (PDF, 428 KB);
- it is your responsibility to get all required approvals;
- forms required depend on the type of generation you are using;
- fill out the Distributed Resource Interconnection Request (PDF, 82 KB);
- if you are generating 10 kW or less, you must sign the Registration for 10 kW or less (PDF, 82 KB).
If you plan to produce excess energy to flow back to us for a credit, you must sign our Power Purchase Agreement.