Northern Aboriginal Pre-placement Program
Hourly rate: $17.02
This 10-month program provides opportunities for Aboriginal candidates to gain educational assistance to upgrade to the minimum academic requirements and on-the-job training required to successfully compete for a position in the 6-year operating technician training program.
Potential candidates must:
- be a high school graduate with 1 of the following subjects: Mathematics 40S (Applied or Pre-Calculus); Physics 40S; or English 40.
- possess and maintain a valid Manitoba Class 5 driver’s licence (intermediate or full);
- be capable of working in a variety of environments, within confined spaces and at heights requiring bucket truck or ladder work.
- have strong mechanical aptitude;
- have good hearing and accurate colour perception.
- have basic computer skills.
- be physically capable of performing all the duties;
- be able to work as a member of a team and adapt to changing tasks and locations;
- have good interpersonal and communication skills.
Candidates who do not qualify for the Aboriginal Pre-placement Program but want to upgrade their high school education to meet the requirements for this program can visit the Adult Learning and Literacy Branch website for a list of certified adult literacy programs and learning centres in Manitoba.
Recruitment dates to be determined.
Applications must include the following information:
- current resumé and cover letter;
- high school transcript, and any post secondary school transcripts or training certificates;
- proof of Aboriginal descent.
As part of the selection process, candidates will be required to write standardized aptitude tests that assess how well a candidate’s abilities match the requirements of the job. Candidates will also participate in a 1-day pre-employment skills assessment and trade orientation session, which includes a panel interview, and provides candidates with the opportunity to demonstrate job-related skills such as following instructions, handling tools, measuring and cutting, and following blueprints. To help you prepare, see the Skills Assessment and Trades Orientation Physical Training Guide (PDF, 1.6 MB). Candidates selected for this session will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract.
There is no guarantee of ongoing employment at the completion of the pre-placement program.
If you are interested in this program, set up a job alert from your profile by selecting “Trades” as your area of interest and enter a few key words describing this program.