St. Vital Transmission Complex
The St. Vital Transmission Complex includes construction of 2 230-kV transmission lines that will both start at the St. Vital Station (located in southeast Winnipeg):
- The St. Vital to Letellier Transmission line will run south to the Letellier Station, located outside of Letellier, Manitoba. This new line is required in south-central Manitoba to address load growth and voltage concerns in the area.
- The St. Vital to La Verendrye Transmission Line will run to the La Verendrye Station, located southwest of Winnipeg near the community of Oak Bluff. This new line will be located on a right-of-way, which exists south of Winnipeg known as the Southern Loop. The new line will:
- enable the Winnipeg network to withstand various severe outages;
- improve performance during normal operation;
- promote the reliability of the power system in southern Manitoba.
The St. Vital Transmission Complex received a Class 2 development Licence under The Environment Act (Manitoba) on January 30, 2017.
Manitoba Hydro is reaching out to affected landowners, Indigenous communities and organizations, interested parties, rural municipalities and local communities with information about the Project and next steps. Liaisons have been assigned to landowners to help address any specific concerns and to help landowners navigate the next steps of the process including easement agreements and site specific mitigation, through construction to project operation. If you are an affected landowner and have not received a letter regarding your project liaison, please contact us at 1-877-343-1631.
Based on feedback received and discussions held with the Sage Creek Residents Association, a modification to the project was made to the project design within the community.
- Project announcement: August 2013;
- Public and Indigenous engagement round 1: August/September 2013 (completed);
- Preferred route determined: October 2013 (completed);
- Public and Indigenous engagement round 2: November 2013 (completed);
- Regulatory submission: May 2014 (completed);
- Licence received: January 2017 (completed);
- Construction start date – St. Vital to Letellier transmission line: summer 2019 (estimated);
- Construction start date – St. Vital to La Verendrye transmission line: to be determined.
This schedule is subject to change.
All comment sheets, newsletters and storyboards presented at open houses and to interested parties are available in the document library.
For more information about the St. Vital Transmission Complex:
- Email Licensing & Environmental Assessment.
- Phone Licensing & Environmental Assessment toll-free at 1-877-343-1631 or 204-360-7888 in Winnipeg;
Licensing and Environmental Assessment
820 Taylor Ave. (3)
Winnipeg MB R3M 3T1