Call or click before you dig
We have joined Manitoba Common Ground Alliance’s Click Before You Dig MB program. This service coordinates line location for multiple utilities. Identifying buried lines before you dig can prevent injury or death, costly repairs, equipment damage, service outages, and environmental pollution.
For emergency line locate requests, call 1-800-940-3447.
Before you dig
- If you plan to excavate or dig into the ground for any reason deeper than 15 cm, request a line locate.
- For help with this process, call 1-800-940-3447.
- Within 3 business days you will be contacted with a date for a line location.
- We will locate and mark electric and natural gas lines that we own.
- We will give you a Facilities Locate form with specific instructions that must be followed. You are required to have this form in accordance with Government of Manitoba statues and regulations.
- For more information, or to reschedule your Manitoba Hydro appointment, call 204-480-1212 within Winnipeg or 1-888-624-9376 outside of Winnipeg.
- If work has not started within 14 days after line location, you must contact us to have the lines re-marked and receive an updated Facilities Locate form.
- Review Manitoba Hydro’s Safe Excavation and Safety Watch Guidelines (PDF, 936 KB).
- Keep the Facilities Locate form at the site until the excavation and backfill are complete.
- Ensure everyone on the worksite is aware of the presence of all electric and natural gas lines.
- The locate markings must be maintained and kept visible by the person or contractor doing the excavating. Be careful that site operators do not remove the locate markings.
- Plant trees and shrubs at least 1 metre away from underground lines.
- Understand the risks involved with the location of a fire pit.
For more information, visit Click Before You Dig MB.