Power Smart tips for windows & doors
Be Power Smart around your home to make it more comfortable and to save energy. Here are some small changes that you can make to improve the efficiency of your windows:
- open blinds to let sunlight naturally heat your home in the winter and close blinds in the summer to prevent heat build up;
- plant trees and shrubs in front of windows to shade your home from summer heat;
- install storm windows on the interior or exterior of the window to create an insulated air space (a common example is plastic window kits);
- make sure doors and windows fit tightly, adjust or replace weatherstripping for a draft free fit;
- caulk window and door trim to reduce drafts.
For more information on improving the energy efficiency of your windows and doors, read our how-to booklets: