High voltage test facility
High voltage tests determine if an electrical apparatus meets specified requirements. These tests can be performed on new equipment following transport and on service-aged equipment that is being considered for re-use. The aim is to prevent in service failures that may pose a safety hazard to staff, damage other equipment, or jeopardize service reliability which can result in substantial lost revenue and significant repair and replacement costs.
- full dielectric testing of equipment rated up to 550 kVac and 500 kVdc;
- full electrical testing of power transformers.
Our test hall allows for testing of instrument transformers, bushings, aerial lift devices and power transformers. The test hall is 41 metres x 38 metres with 21 metres clearance between floor and bridge crane and has rail access directly into the test hall.
Power transformers, instrument transformers, bushings, and aerial devices:
- lightning impulse 2,200 kV;
- switching impulse 1,300 kV;
- applied 60 Hz voltage with PD measurement 800 kV;
- direct voltage with polarity reversal ±1,200 kV in 2 min.;
- direct voltage with PD measurement ±1,000 kV.
- induced overvoltage;
- no load loss;
- full load loss (up to 120 MVAr capacitive compensation).
Stator coils and bars:
- thermal cycling (IEEE 1310);
- voltage endurance (IEEE 1043);
- diagnostics include partial discharge screening measurements.
Gaskets and insulating oil:
- accelerated aging of gasket materials;
- access to in-house chemical lab services for oil tests.
- determine size and number of water trees.
Test hall: 2,400 kV impulse generator, 800 kV series resonant test supply, and 1,200 kV direct voltage test set.
1510 Chevrier Blvd.
Canada R3T 1Y6
For more information, email us.